Wednesday 10 July 2013

Short Fiction (3) – Cynthia and John!


When Cynthia was a young lady, she was approached by John. They became friends. In a few months, John told Cynthia:
‘Cynthia, you know I love you. Will you marry me?’
Cynthia started laughing: ‘John John, if na play, stop am. Marry you at this age? You know I’m still young. I want to experience the world first before I marry. If I marry now, I won’t have stories to tell my children when I grow old.’
After some persuasion, John left the matter to rest.

5 years later, John ran across Cynthia. She was still single. John asked: ‘Cynthia, how far na? Are you still experiencing the world?’
Cynthia: ‘I graduated last year. I’m serving now. I just started experiencing the world.’
John: ‘OK’

In another 5 years, John met Cynthia again. This time, John was married with children. John asked Cynthia: ‘Cynthia, how far? Are you still experiencing the world?’
Cynthia: ‘I just got my visa to travel out. In short, I’m just beginning to experience the world.’
John:  ‘OK’


In another 10 years, John came across one magazine. As he was going through it, he saw a column, ‘Relationships! By Cynthia ……’ Cynthia was still single and she was now using the wealth of her experience to write columns for well-known newspapers and magazine. Her audience is now ‘her children.’ Articles include: ‘How to start a relationship!’ ‘How to keep your relationship alive!’ ‘The secret to maintaining a new relationship!’


P.S. It's not a true story. Names and characters were made up.

No comments: