Wednesday 23 January 2013

A Joke a day keeps the doctor away! (23-01-13)



Mobile phone abuse!
I remember years ago in Nigeria. If you want to make a phone call, you have to travel some kilometers to the nearest NITEL office. You would then buy a card and wait on a queue before it gets to your turn. When you consider all the stress involved, you don’t make frivolous calls. You weigh what you want to say and you make the calls at the time best suited for the person you are calling. Nowadays, mobile phones and networks are everywhere. As a result, we see a lot of trivialities with phone calls.

There was this weekend, sometime ago. I wasn't on duty. So, I had the whole weekend to myself. I did not receive a single phone call. On Monday morning, I was back at work with so much to do. I was so much in a hurry to catch up with my work. Then my phone rang. “Hello, I just want to great you.”Amazing, right? You want to say, ‘Hi’ on a busy Monday morning when you had the whole weekend to do that. “Hi yourself, my friend!”

What is more annoying now is that mobile phone operators have copied this wrong attitude of some of their customers. You are expecting a bank credit alert for your salary, your messenger rings; when you check, ‘Good morning, call … to get more information on our services.’ What, did I ask you if I needed more services?

Most annoying is when you are expecting an important phone call, your phone rings. You pick it up only for you to hear an automated voice-recorded message: ‘Hello, dear customer, we are offering value added services. We have so and so and so…. Press 1 for … Press 2 for…’ Rubbish! Press off. It’s high time I press charges in court for these networks that violate my peace of mind.

No comments: