Thursday 24 January 2013

A Joke a day keeps the doctor away! (24-01-13)



There is this story I heard in school. It’s a joke. I don’t know what inspired this story. Let me say my own version of the story. There are other versions. There was this guy who was having a tough time in school. He sent several messages home asking for help. Yet, he received nothing. Angered by the situation, he sent this letter home:

“Dear Father, life is so difficult in school. No foodstuff. No money to buy food or anything. I’m tired of school and I’m tired of life. Suicide attempted.”

This guy sent the letter home hoping that when his folks at home sees the letter, they will understand the gravity of the situation and then send him the money he needed.
 
After reading the letter, the father replied:
“Dear Son. I got your letter. Life is difficult here too. No food. No money for house-rent or for anything. I've lost my job and your mum just put to birth. Suicide allowed.”

Upon seeing the dad’s letter, he fainted.
 
P.S. On a personal note, let me add this: This is not an endorsement of suicide or suicide ideation (suicidal thoughts). This story is meant as a joke. Sometimes, the thought of suicide is a symptom of a deeper psychological problem that can be corrected with professional help. There are some popular tales of people who used suicide as a tool to pass on a message. Be assured that there are thousands of other suicide stories that are easily forgotten or unheard of. Many remain a mystery. You can choose life and still be a hero for whatever course you want to fight for. For those who are having tough times, ending things is not the way. It only creates more misery, horror and hardship for those left behind. No matter how hard your circumstances are, put faith in your Maker and remember the saying: It’s always darkest before dawn. Life, though imperfect, is worth living. Have a lovely time, folks.

No comments: