Sunday 20 January 2013

Jokes in Pidgin English (18) - Languages (langua...)!



D way some words for some of our languages dey resemble English… na waoo. D one wen dey surprise me pass na Hausa. I never see like language wen resemble English like Hausa. e.g

English - Hausa
Thirty - Talatin
Sixty - Sittin 
Seventy - Saba’in 
Two (bi) - Biyu
Hand - Hanu
Back - Baya

And other words like that. I dey wonder whether na coincidence abi one language borrow words from another language. Well at least, the thin make some Hausa words dey easy to remember. E get words like ‘mota’ for car (motor), ‘Burodi’ for bread, those ones are understandable bcos they are new relative to how long the language has bn in existence.

When I dey secondary school, our Urhobo teacher dey teach us Parts of Speech like noun, pronoun,etc. he come tell us say dese words get Urhobo names. he come say 

Noun na ‘Ina’u’ for Urhobo
Adjective na ‘Ajekitivi’ in Urhobo…

We come dey laugh, we say, ‘O boy, our Urhobo Master don invent em own Urhobo, wetin be Ajekitivi, na everythin dey get Urhobo name.’ I wish I know about computer dat time I for ask am d Urhobo word for Computer. I dey sure say e for get something talk like, ‘Compu’tata’…. Otua’gheeee!

No comments: