Thursday 10 January 2013

Jokes in Pidgin English (7) - ‘Na my brother!’



When you dey inside hospital, you go see many funny things. I was in the clinic one day, one staff bring one patient and wanted us to see the patient immediately, saying: ‘Na my brother! Na my brother! Abeg, attend to am.’ After attending to the patient, the patient was admitted to the ward. Patient was in the ward for hours, but he could not buy the drugs he needed. Why? No money. No moni. After I was told that the patient has not bought his drugs, I ran into ‘na my brother’ staff.
Me: ‘How far? You brother dey ward for long and he never buy em drugs. Wetin dey happen?’
His reply: ‘Actually, actually, he’s not my brother. We are from the same area. I just decided to help him see the doctor.’
Me: ‘Na my brother don turn to actually abi? Look, helping him to see the doctor is no help. He could have seen the doctor without your help. Now, he needs drugs. He actually needs your help now.’
Staff: ‘Likita, I dey come. I dey come.’
That was the last time we saw ‘na my brother’ cum ‘actually no be my brother’ staff. ‘Na my brother.’ ‘Na my brother.’ Na who be my brother? ‘Na my brother’ is been overused and abused. ‘A friend in need is a friend indeed’ as the saying goes. In the same light, ‘na my brother in need, na my brother true true, oh. Abi? I rest my case.

No comments: